|July 4, 2020 (Death & Taxes)
Death & Taxes update page
By some divine providence, your teams built perfectly symmetrical outposts within as little as 20 feet of each other, so both sides have an equal shot at all three(!) of the points on Oil Canyon. Whether you can divvy up your resources to hold more than 1 or 2 at a time? That's another problem entirely.
Oil Canyon is an official Domination map, embedded within a mountainous oil refinery. A team gains points by capturing any of the three Control Points. Each uncontested control point generates one point each within 5 second intervals, spaced evenly apart. A contested control point that becomes uncontested will generate a point if five seconds have passed while contested. One team must reach 125 points to win the round.
Oil Canyon was added to Team Fortress 2 Classic on July 4, 2020, in the Death & Taxes update. It was created by Team Fortress 2 Classic developers MaartenS11, Suomimies55, and Trotim.
Each team spawns in a room with three exits, leading into an exterior that leads into three pathways that connects to each of the three points. The close proximity of each team's spawn means that it's easy to reach the opposing spawn in a short amount of time.
Point A connects from spawn through a long indoor tunnel, spiting out into either a room or side path that is attached to the point. This point is outdoors and exposed, with a ramp above it.
Point B is inbetween each team's spawn with a short, direct route leading to it. It is set in a cramped indoors area with two ramps above it. There is a tunnel underneath this point that connects Point A and Point C to each other, but is inaccessible from Point B itself.
Point C connects through a spacious underground tunnel that leads players above or outside the point. The point is indoors directly between two walls, with platforms above and a short staircase below.
- Added vip_mineside
- Added a new second route to the Escape Zone
- Made some areas brighter
- Added a small ammo kit to upper balcony at mid
- Added more cover for upper balcony at mid
- Adjusted respawn time for Red during Escape gates being open to be longer
- Small changes in general
- Changed setup time from 30 seconds to 60 seconds
- Added new upper route for defenders (closes after setup time is over)
- Fixed func_dustmotes inside forward BLU spawn
- Changed pickup sizes in general
- Added ammo pickup inside upper tunnel route
- Animated barricade inside the mineside last cap area
- Small optimization changes
- The now-obsolete game_text_tf entity has been replaced with env_instructor_hint