Pickups are objects that are spawned or dropped in various locations across most maps and can be "picked up" by players coming into contact with them. Pickups usually give bonuses to players who picked them up; but in cases like Capture the Flag the pickup is a central part of the game mode and awards points for "Captures".
Pickups can be divided in these categories:
- Health kits
- Ammo boxes
- Fallen weapons
- Building scraps/gibs
- Special pickups
Health kits are pickups resembling medical aid items, they heal a player based on their max health but cannot overheal; they can be of 3 types:
- Small: Bearing the resemblance of a bottle with a red cross on it, it heals a player by 20.5% of their maximum health.
- Medium: Bearing the resemblance of a first aid kit with a red cross on it, it heals a player by 50% of their maximum health.
- Large: Bearing the resemblance large blue box with a red cross on it, it heals a player by 100% of their maximum health.
Special health pickups
- During Medieval maps, enemies will drop medium health kits, bearing the resemblence of a slab of meat with a bone peeking out.
- Heavy's Sandvich when thrown or when dropped by a dead Heavy (therefore becoming a fallen weapon) becomes a pickup that acts exactly like a medium health medkit.
Upon pickup, the user will hear a sound indicating that they have been healed and the amount healed will be shown on their hud; all health kits remove Afterburn and the effects of being tranquilized by the Tranquilizer Gun
Ammo boxes are boxes with bullet symbols stamped on top of them, they replenish ammo of all currently equipped weapons, the Cloak meter of a Spy and the metal of an Engineer based on their maximum quantity; they can be of 3 types:
- Small: Bearing the resemblance of a small gray box with a black bullets on it, it refills ammo by 20%.
- Medium: Bearing the resemblance of a first aid kit with a red cross on it, it refills ammo by 50%.
- Large: Bearing the resemblance of a large wooden crate with rockets and a bandolier peeking it, it refills ammo by 100%.
Special ammo pickups
- When a Building is destroyed little parts of it fall to the ground, these scraps can be picked up by anyone and replenish 8% of all ammo and cloak whilst only 4% of metal.
- When a player dies, their currently equipped weapon will drop to the ground, this pickup refills 50% of all ammo, cloak and metal
Used in modes like Capture the Flag and Special Delivery, these pickups resemble a briefcase with paper peeking out, players holding Flags leave paper particles and are highlighted for all teams. Flags need 2 things:
- A point to spawn Flags
- A point to bring said Flags (usually where your own Flag gets spawned in)
Upon capturing a flag, your team may gain guaranteed crits (depending on if the server has `tf_ctf_bonus_time` set to `"x"` where X is a number that isnt zero or not) While there are attributes that affect players holding flags, there is no innate alteration of stats from it.