Badwater Basin (VIP)
|Badwater Basin (VIP)
|July 4, 2020 (Death & Taxes)
|Drudlyclean the Skeledude
Death & Taxes update page
Big changes effective immediately at Badwater Basin: day is now night, and the explosives cellar is now a freight elevator. Escort the Civilian along the same path as the payload cart, or take pleasure in the fact that the bulletproof rail bomb has been taken out and replaced with something that can die.
Badwater Basin (VIP) (or Badwater (VIP)) is an official VIP map, which is a variation of Badwater Basin (Payload). The BLU team must escort the VIP to three Control Points in a row, and the RED team must prevent them from capturing. Each time the VIP is killed, 30 seconds are removed from the available round time, and the killer gains 5 seconds of critical hits. It is set in an industrial desert environment with the main path marked by mysteriously disused train tracks.
Badwater (VIP) was added to Team Fortress 2 Classic on July 4, 2020, in the Death & Taxes update. It was created by former TF2 Classic developer Drudlyclean the Skeledude, and contributor savva.
BLU team starts in a large spawn room with four exits and multiple paths for the VIP to walk through. Outside of spawn, the two main routes are either an underground tunnel or an uphill slope, both of which leading to Point A. When this point is captured, shutter doors open to allow multiple routes to Point C.
Point B is connected through either a short, narrow outdoors path, or a longer indoors route that leads to a rooftop directly above the point. Behind the point is an unusually large "playground" area disconnected from the main route, which contains mostly rocks and shipping containers. Once Point B is captured, BLU gains a forward spawn, and RED's shutter door leading from spawn is permanently closed.
BLU's forward spawn leads either closer to Point B or to a side route above the connector. The connector itself has multiple elevated areas and battlements with indoor cover. This area acts as a point of resistance for RED to attempt to hold, before BLU faces the harsher chokepoint leading to Point C.
Point C is connected through multiple entrances, each of which is a harsh choke for the VIP. The main route leads either down a slope or to a platform above the point. There are side routes with large outdoor arenas and smaller indoor segments between them. RED spawn gains a staircase that allows travel between the upper and lower areas. Point C can be captured in a large square surrounding the point itself, as marked by black and yellow tape. When the VIP captures Point C, BLU team wins, and the car platform descends into the abyss.
Comparisons (2.0.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.3)
- Added vip_badwater
- Time has passed within Badwater, and it is now brighter outside
- Removed Capture Point C, due to its redundancy in actual play
- Bumped the Round Timer's max limit from 6 minutes to 10 minutes, to compensate for Capture Point C's removal
- Updated the visual design of each point's platform
- Added a NoBuild to stop Engineers from building out of bounds
- Time has passed within Badwater, and it is once again dark outside
- Added light sources outside to brighten up areas
- Added more clipping
- Added a new exit for BLU team's forward spawn next to B point
- Added a new pathway that connects RED team's lower and upper spawnrooms on last point
- Severely reduced the amount of fog present on the skybox
- Added Parallax Correction to cubemaps in some indoor areas
- Improved lighting across the map, using light_directional
- Added sound to the spinning fan in RED's spawn
- Added envmapmask to the floor tile in BLU's forward spawn
- A boulder that was erroneously changed to a prop_dynamic in a previous update is now a prop_static again, meaning that it should be less glitchy to walk on top of
- Badwater Basin is a basin in Death Valley, California, notable for having the lowest elevation in North America.