|Health||300 (450 with overheal)|
The Heavy is a defensive class, whose role is to act as the main damage dealer and damage sponge in an offensive or defensive attack. With 300 health and 77% speed, he is the tankiest and slowest class. The Minigun is the most powerful weapon in the game when revved up, able to destroy any class and enemy building in a close-range scenario, and his huge health makes it difficult for any class to kill in him a fair fight. His ability to deny solo players from approaching acts as a hard stop against roaming enemies, and his unmatched sustained damage acts as crowd control in its own right. He is also the single biggest target for enemy attacks, especially when paired with a Medic, and acts as bait for friendly classes to slip around unnoticed. The presence of a revved-up Heavy is an threat that must be addressed, and these properties make him the prime choice for immediate frontal assault, or a defense that exhausts the enemy.
The Heavy's biggest downsides are his terrible mobility, total commitment when attacking, predictable play pattern, reliance on allied support, and weakness to map geometry. His speed being the worst in the game is a massive downside when faced with highly mobile classes like Scout or Soldier, to the point where it's difficult to even keep up with the Payload or VIP. Revving up with the Minigun is an all-or-nothing committment, and revving up in the wrong situation can lead to his death before he gets a shot off. This also makes him prime bait for a Sniper or Spy to get an easy kill. Although the Heavy is a perpetual threat, his linear playstyle means that he has very limited options besides shooting everything in his sight. This means that he cannot sustain himself for long periods of time, as his large ammo consumption and unavoidable assault from enemies requires friendly support to be effective. And finally, he cannot shoot what he cannot see, so smart enemies will simply hide behind a wall and peek out to shoot, making it difficult to ever return fire. For a class that kills everything, his biggest weakness is corners.
While the Heavy is not effective in wide-open areas where the enemy can run away, or for mobile assaults that rely on a coordinated push, he is extremely powerful in a scenario where he can stay in a small area and kill anything nearby. This makes him an excellent asset when defending an objective or when assaulting a static encampment. On offense, he must be killed immediately, or it will lead to the swift death of their team and the destruction of their buildings. On defense, he must be addressed to successfully capture the point he is guarding, otherwise an assault will simply fail. These attributes make him a powerful, yet situational class that is an ideal pick for players with a focus on teamwork and who take enjoyment out of unsubtly killing everything in sight, making them the main character of any engagement the Heavy is in.
Country of Origin: Russia
Job: Mow Down
Motto: "Shooting Good."
Like a hibernating bear, the Heavy appears to be a gentle giant. Also like a bear, confusing his deliberate, sleepy demeanor with gentleness will get you ripped limb from limb. Though he speaks simply and moves with an economy of energy that's often confused with napping, the Heavy isn't dumb, he's not your big friend, and he generally wishes you'd just shut up before he has to make you shut up.
As a Heavy…
- …hit E to call for a Medic if you get hurt. Nearby Medics will be notified of your need.
- …you're a great Medic buddy. Keep a clear line of sight to your Medic to keep the medigun on you.
- …you're a prime target for Spies. Use your arsenal to keep them at bay, and look behind yourself often.
- …hold MOUSE2 to keep your minigun spinning, ready for approaching enemies.
- …your minigun chews up a lot of ammo. Pick up fallen weapons to refill your supply.
- …you don't lose momentum while spinning up your minigun in the air. Use this to surprise enemies around corners!
- …your shotgun can deal high burst damage, and allows you to move faster while attacking compared to spinning your minigun.
- …your high health allows you to win most melee fights. Don't be afraid to use your fists!
- …with the Sandvich equipped, be sure to press MOUSE2 in order to heal your teammates.
- …be sure to find a safe place to eat your Sandvich, otherwise you may be rudely interrupted.
- …your anti-aircraft cannon deals high burst damage, and is ideal for handling crowds.
- …your anti-aircraft cannon deals mini-crits to airborne enemies. Use it to knock down Soldiers or enemies using jump pads.
- …the Chekhov's Punch will store critical hits on successful hit. Use it with your minigun for guaranteed critical hits!
- …the Chekhov's Punch will cause you to take guaranteed critical damage from enemy melee attacks. Be cautious during close combat.
Names in other languages
- Updated the Heavy’s reload animations to be lower on the screen.
- The Heavy's voice actor, Gary Schwartz, also voices the Demoman class.
- The official name of the class is the ‘Heavy Weapons Guy’; though, the Heavy is never referred to as this in-game.
- The emblem on the Heavy's arm was originally a Skull, which was later changed to a Fist.
- In Team Fortress 2 Classic, Heavy gets another line for his "Thanks!" voice command where he says ‘до свидания!" (‘Da svidaniya!’ Translation: "Goodbye!"), This voice line was lifted from Prerelease versions of Team Fortress 2.