|Used by||Engineer, Soldier, Pyro, Heavy|
Sometimes, you just have to do things yourself.
My shotgun disagrees with your will to live, maggot!
Heavy will make do with this.
The Shotgun is the stock primary weapon for the Engineer and the stock secondary weapon for the Soldier, Pyro and Heavy. It's a sawed-off, pump-action shotgun with a dark metal barrel, a wooden grip and forearm.
A consistent form of firepower can sometimes be all a Mann needs on the front lines, and the shotgun provides this to all classes who are permitted to equip it. The shotgun holds 6 shells at a time and carries 32 in reserve, with random weapon spread disabled each shell fires off 10 pellets in a 3 by 3 spread pattern with the 10th pellet overlapping the center pellet. Each Pellet does a base damage of 6 and at maximum ramp up 9 damage, making it a great close range weapon as well as being a decent option at medium range.
Though the stats of the shotgun stay the same for every class, it's usage varies depending on who wields it.
- Soldier's shotgun is his weapon of choice if rockets and or splash damage is not viable in a situation. It can be used to kill a close range enemy to avoid taking self damage from rockets, finishing off a weak target, or attacking opponents who are too unpredictable to waste rockets on.
- Pyro's shotgun serves as a way to counteract the shortcomings of his Flamethrower, not only does it allow him to have a proper medium range option, it also lets him to effectively combat opponents who are resistant to fire such as enemy Pyro's or underwater targets.
- Heavy's shotgun, while not as powerful as his Minigun, can still be useful in emergency situations. As such, it should be primarily used if revving his primary weapon will take too long or if it's running low on ammunition.
- Engineer's shotgun should be used in order to fight back against enemies who either catch him without his sentry gun at his side, or attempt to destroy his sentry gun at close range. It can also be useful against Spy's if they attempt to sap an Engineer's buildings.
Names in other languages
|French||Fusil à pompe||Shotgun|
|Italian||Fucile a pompa||Shotgun|
- In old versions of Team Fortress 2 Classic, the Medic used to have the Shotgun as an alternative primary weapon. However, it has been shown to be too powerful for a support class such as the Medic, players preferred to fight with the Shotgun instead of healing teammates, turning him into a combat class. As such it was removed.