|Health||125 (185 with overheal)|
The Scout is an offensive class whose purpose is to deal massive damage at close range with minimal downtime, supplemented with the highest speed in the game and the unique ability to double jump. He has 125 health, 133% speed, and has double capture rate, meaning he is able to capture control points and push payload carts at twice the speed of all other classes. Despite having the lowest health in the game, his innate mobility means he can dodge and weave around space better than the enemy can control it. His speed allows him to pick and choose his battles, looking for openings in the enemy's defense to kill important classes (especially the Medic and Civilian), or finding the perfect opportunity to steal an objective. This makes him an ideal class for taking risks and sacrificing himself for the good of the team, hoping to find payoffs that will allow his team to win, even when they don't always pay out.
The Scout's biggest downsides are his susceptibility to splash damage, lack of crowd control, uselessness against enemy buildings, and his predictability when his double jump is used up. He also doesn't have any exceptional tricks that can turn the tide of battle, such as the Pyro's airblast or the Demoman's stickybomb traps. He is by and large an "honest" class that wins by killing the enemy or running away, and success with the Scout relies on having exceptional aim while managing his mobility. Failing to manage this mobility means he will immediately die to a wayward enemy, especially when running down tight corridors and cramped rooms. His specialization in 1v1 combat also means he has little to no influence against large groups of enemies, and cannot act as an omnipresent threat in the same way the Heavy or Engineer is. And the low accuracy of his weapons at range means he is effectively useless against enemy Sentry Guns, which have a habit of immediately killing him.
Regardless, when his strengths are abused, and his weaknesses are managed, the Scout is one of the most powerful classes in the game, able to act as a deadly counter to enemies caught out of position and able to finish off injured enemies who are trying to run away. On offense, he is essential for pressuring the enemy to defend their objectives, and though he is less useful on defense, he is still able to punish players who push too far into allied quarters. He is an excellent class for those looking to play independently while still contributing to the team when the opportunity arises, and acts as a high-skill class for those who want to stack the odds in their favour while still winning in fair combat.
Location of Origin: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Job: Rapid Recovery
Motto: "Too. Much. Caffeine."
Special Ability: Double Jump
The youngest of eight boys from the south side of Boston, the Scout learned early how to problem solve with his fists. With seven older brothers on his side, fights tended to end before the runt of the litter could maneuver into punching distance, so the Scout trained himself to run. He ran everywhere, all the time, until he could beat his pack of mad dog siblings to the fray.
As a Scout…
- …you can double jump in mid-air to quickly change direction and avoid enemy fire.
- …you capture control points twice as fast as other classes.
- …you're most effective when you stay moving and use your speed to your advantage.
- …you're an excellent distraction. Catch the attention of dangerous classes like Heavies and Snipers to allow your team to move forward.
- …your scattergun is lethal at point blank range.
- …your pistol is great for picking off enemies at a distance.
- …your bat does less damage than normal melee weapons, but swings much faster.
- …your nail gun is great for holding off enemies that are chasing after you.
Names in other languages
- Added "Clip Out" sounds on the Engineer's and Scout's reloads.
- Fixed the Scout’s loser animations from playing faster when running slower than max speed.
- Fixed the Scout’s Flinch animation to keep the weapon locked to his right hand.
- The BLU Scout's pants in Team Fortress 2 Classic is now a navy blue color as seen in the prerelease builds of Team Fortress 2; in release Team Fortress 2, the color simply remains the same as the RED Scout's pants.