"Whatever happened to chivalry?"
The Huntsman is an alternative primary weapon for the Sniper. It is a simple recurve bow made from wood and metal, its riser held on with black tape, and with additional asymmetrical tape on the limbs. While equipped, the Sniper will have a large quiver with three arrows sticking out of it, whether or not the Huntsman is the active weapon. Its arrows leave behind a team-colored trail when fired. Enemies killed by the Huntsman may have their corpses pinned to nearby walls.
The Huntsman shoots a large arrow projectile that travels through the air, impacting the first enemy it comes into contact with. While holding down the primary fire button, the arrow can be charged for up to one second, significantly increasing its damage and velocity. While charging, the Sniper is slowed and he cannot jump, but will still charge and can be fired in midair or underwater. The arrows deal 50 damage uncharged and 120 damage at maximum charge.
In addition, the Huntsman can headshot enemies at any charge and any range, dealing 150 damage uncharged and 360 damage fully charged. The headshot hitbox is different from that of the Sniper Rifle and Hunting Revolver, meaning that headshots can succeed or fail in non-intuitive ways. The user can also cancel the charge by pressing the alternative fire key, causing the Sniper to lower his bow, not firing his arrow, and delay his next shot. Switching weapons will also cancel the charge without firing the arrow. If the user charges for more than five seconds, their charge meter will turn red, and their current shot will become extremely inaccurate when fired.
The Huntsman arrow can be lit on fire by a friendly Pyro's Flame Thrower, certain map geometry like the torches on DeGroot Keep, or if it travels through the flames of either an allied or enemy Pyro. Impacted enemies will suffer afterburn, lasting for 10 seconds and dealing 3 damage every 0.5 seconds for a total of 60 damage. Going underwater will extinguish the burning arrow, and enemies that are underwater will not suffer afterburn at all. In any case, the friendly Pyro will not receive assist credit for the kill, and the Sniper will receive full credit.
The Huntsman has the Arrow Stab kill taunt, in which the Sniper will twirl an arrow with his hand, stab it into the first enemy in front of his crosshair (vertically and horizontally), then pull it out. Doing this will stun the enemy (including invulnerable enemies) and deal 1 damage on the stab, then deal 500 damage to them on the pullout. If the arrow is on fire, it will set the enemy on fire. The pullout and stab are separate actions, meaning an enemy can get stunned without dying, or die without being stunned. The taunt effect extends significantly beyond the animation's apparent range. The user's crosshair position influences where the taunt will stab, meaning they can hit an enemy above or below them, even though the animation always faces forwards. The taunt will not penetrate multiple enemies, and will not damage buildings. It also cannot deal critical hits, but it can deal mini-crits. Unlike in Team Fortress 2, taunting with an arrow charged will fire the arrow before taunting.
|Ranged or Melee?||Ranged|
|Afterburn duration||10 s|
|Attack interval||1.94 s|
|Charge fill speed||100% / s|
|Charge fill time||1 s|
|Aim fatigue||5 s|
|All values are approximate.|
- Added The Huntsman
- Updated Rockets, Arrows, Syringes and Flares to pass through Teammates. (tf2c_projectile_ally_collide 1 to re-enable)
- Added special Class Select animations for the Nailgun, Huntsman and Hunting Revolver.
- Updated the Sniper to be able to gesture while holding the Sniper Rifle and Huntsman.
- Improved Arrows to be ignited mid-air, both by triggers and the Pyro's flames.
- Improved the Snipers Huntsman animations to be right-handed properly.
- Fixed an exploit where Huntsman arrows could be used to give players large health pools
- Added tf2c_experimental_huntsman_enable (off by default), for bounding box-based collision for Huntsman headshots
- Fixed Huntsman fire arrows not applying afterburn on taunt kill
- Fixed Huntsman not respecting mod_sniper_zoom_while_jumping value
- Fixed burning arrows not getting extinguished underwater
Names in other languages
|Italian||Arco da cacciatore||Huntsman's Bow|
- The Sniper will still have three arrows sticking out of his quiver even if the Huntsman has less than three arrows remaining.
- An arrow launched while taunting with the Huntsman will not play its firing sound effect.